Friday, April 16, 2010

What was I thinking?

I woke up at 2:30 this morning.

Seriously?

Mike and Mike were in town for a live broadcast on ESPN Radio, so of course I had to be there. I figured I should start my run at 3, because the show starts at 5, and the doors opened at 4 something.

Am I insane? Perhaps.

I have a race tomorrow, so it was an easy run (Fridays usually are), and then I got ready and hauled over to the show. Apparently I wasn't the only one. The place was more packed than any of the other shows I've ever attended. And this one was definitely less pleasant. I love the Mikes, but I sure don't love all of their fans. Rude.

I didn't even stay for much of the show, because I was getting so claustrophobic, and I started thinking about how silly it was to stand all morning (again, I have a race tomorrow) and wait in a huge crowd to try to get a book signed or a pic with them. I already have both. Multiples, actually. I even have a signed football.

This morning made me realize that life can't always be what we think it will. Sure, I already knew that, but it's always good to be slapped in the face again with it. Will I go to the live broadcast next time they come in town? Probably. Maybe I will even go earlier. But I am not heartbroken that things didn't go my way this morning. At least I wasn't as selfish and rude to others as some of the fans there were, all so they could get a glimpse of two other human beings.

It's going to be a long weekend (full of work, not play), so hopefully I will have the energy to divulge the latest happenings in the NatMer saga. As for right now, I'm going to go be part of the Teacher Appreciation night at the baseball game (a student asked me to wear his jersey and be honored at some little pre-game thing), then I need some food and sleep.

Since when did I start working on a Friday night until 6:49? Is it summer yet?

No comments: