Saturday, April 3, 2010

Welcome to the digital age


I have turned my back on one more aspect of the '90s.

Yes, it's true: I bought a digital camera. I mean, it was due time. Disposable cameras have become rather archaic, and it's such a tedious process trying to get pictures loaded onto a computer from them. Plus, you can't instantly see how your photos turned out, and it seems like one or two always get lost in the development process, and they are usually the pictures you wanted the most. And don't get me started on the quality of the pictures you get. After all, you're only paying about $8 for something you're going to throw away soon, anyway, so you're going to get image quality worthy of such a price.

So, why did I wait until now to invest in a real camera? Three words: Mike and Mike.

I am a huge fan of "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on ESPN Radio, and I try to attend their live broadcasts whenever they make it out to Dallas. The first time I went to one, I had my friend Matt take a picture of the Mikes and me with my disposable camera. For reasons already given, it wasn't the greatest picture. Plus, I'm sure the Mikes weren't too impressed when I had to remind Matt, "Oh, you have to rewind it first."

The last time I was at their live broadcast, I had someone else take a picture with his camera and then e-mail it to me. He was super nice and didn't mind doing that at all, but I would rather not be such a burden and hassle for other people simply because I haven't capitalized on the technologies of the 21st century.

Well, the Mikes are coming to town again this month, and I refuse to deal with the disposable process again. I realize that I have an iPhone with nice picture-taking abilities, but it really is time for me to have a good camera, especially for situations where I might need to take a lot of pictures. I cannot think of such instances at the moment, but I'm sure there are plenty of them.

So this week I went to my favorite store (Target) and bought a Nikon Coolpix touch-screen digital camera. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations. I will be sure to post some of my new pics soon for your NATural fun.

No comments: